HOA Meeting Minutes for September 12, 2016

Glenmore Woods Home Owners Association meeting was held on September 12, 2016 at 6:30pm . The meeting was at the Mariani offices at 900 North Shore Drive, Lake Bluff, IL 60044. The meeting lasted 90 minutes. The minutes from the meeting follow.

 Glenmore Woods Homeowners Association
Home Owners Association Meeting
900 North Shore Drive
Lake Bluff, IL 60044
Monday, September 12, 2016


Agenda

  • Landscaping Status with BrightView
  • Pond status with Environmental Technology
  • Mulch for common areas
  • Replace shrubs in common area that need replacing
  • Solar lighting for common area street lights
  • Possible annexation status
  • Open board position status
  • Status on Native Restorations buckthorn clearing
  • Discus plan for hazardous trees in common areas
  • Status on Street conditions: spots requiring patching before winter
  • Additional Business
  • Next Meeting Date
Board Members: Sue Ebert, Bruce Watts, John Lucas, Joe Sturonas
Homeowners: Justin Beger, Roy Ladd, J.V. Proesel, Jerry Herb, Michael
 
  • Landscaping Status with BrightView
    We currently have a one year contact with Brightview (originally it was with Brickman, but Brickman merged with another company after we signed the contract to form Brightview). We have to decided whether we continue with Brightview or sign with another landscape contractor.

    During the meeting several homeowners expressed dissatisfaction with the quality of workmanship from Brightview during the growing season.  While many of the complaints the were escalated to board members and to Sarah McMaster and were communicated to Phil Megginson at Brightview, several homeowners have continued to have quality issues and have just stopped complaining. The complaints went from the lack of spring cleaning, poor edging, lack of shrub trimming, and no visible foreman on site. Some homeowners felt that Brightview had done a better job than Mariani overall. There is a lot of concern regarding the fall cleanup and how that will go after the leaves start falling from the trees.

    Action Item: Bruce Watts and Roy Ladd will head up the landscape committee and present the homeowners association with a list of the possible landscaping contractors for the next growing season.  


  • Pond status with Environmental Technology
    There have been several complaints regarding the status of the two ponds, mostly with the aesthetics. The biggest complaint is that there is visible algae on the surface of the ponds most of the summer. Some claim this is the worst the ponds have ever looked.  It was pointed out this could be due to a variety of environmental reasons, but one of the most obvious changes was going from McCloud to Environmental Technologies. 

    Action Item: Sarah to get quotes from McCloud and Environmental Technology for next year. Decide at next homeowners meeting. Jerry Herb and Roy Ladd to head up the Pond Committee to review quotes.  

  • Mulch for common areas
    Homeowners brought up the issue of lack of mulch in the common areas. We usually replenish mulch every two years. We have a quote from Brightview which is much higher than years past, but we agreed we need additional quotes. 

    Action Item: Sarah to get quotes for mulch in common areas from additional landscaping companies. Decide at next homeowners meeting.

  • Replace shrubs in common area that need replacing
    Homeowners brought up the need to look at replacing shrubs in common area that need replacing. 

    Action Item: Sarah to get quotes for shrub replacement in common area for shrubs that need replacing. Decide at next homeowners meeting. 

  • Solar lighting for common area street lights
    This was an issue in Area 3 before all the buckthorn was cleared, and we wanted to look into additional lighting, and thought we could save money with solar lights. The buckthorn removal of area 3 has provided sufficient safety in the area, with more than adequate light that has eliminated any loitering in the perviously overgrown areas. 

    Action item: Include a quote for trimming of the trees around the street lights with other tree work in the common areas.  
  • Possible annexation status
    Continue to look at possible annexation alternatives. John Lucas and Justin Beger to head that committee. 

  • Open board position status
    There are several people considering the open board position, but it remains open right now. 

  • Status on Native Restorations buckthorn clearing
    Native Restorations continue stewardship on clearing, and the controlled burn is next for areas 2 and 3. General consensus is that the areas look fantastic. We are looking to get quotes on continued stewardship of areas 2 and 3, as well as a quote on area 1 and a new area 4 that is between Windmere and Isleworth courts.

    Action Item: The Buckthorn committee of Joe Sturonas and Sue Ebert will present at the next homeowners committee meeting 

  • Discus plan for hazardous trees in common areas
    We last completed this in 2008/2009 and we did this in two phases. As a start, we classified trees in the common area in two ways:
    1. Dead trees in the common area that pose a threat to homes
    2. Dead trees in the common area that do not pose a threat to homes
    We removed #1 in 2008 and #2 in 2009. Back in 2009, it was $15K for about 31 trees. (little less than $500/tree). This seemed like a very high cost by todays standards, and we feel we could do this for a much less cost. 

    Action Item: The Tree Committee of John Lucas and Justin Beger will solicit the help of an arborist to classify trees that are #1. Dead trees that pose a threat to property and #2 Dead trees that do not pose a threat to property. The trees will be marked during the property walk. They will then get quotes for the #1 and #2 classification of trees

  • Status on Street conditions: spots requiring patching before winter

    Action item: Joe Sturonas will document and send to Village of Green Oaks the areas of most concern. Will also document and report to the Lake County Forest Preserve the areas by the entrance damaged by the bike path improvements.  

  • Additional Business

    There was the discussion of speed bumps to get motorists to slow down? Also discussion of asking Lake County Police to patrol and ticket those that speed and run stop signs. 

    Discussions of how there are overgrown bushes are too high obstructing views by the entrance of the bike patch and intersection of Windmere and Ashford Drive
    Action Item: Joe Sturonas to talk to Phil Megginson about trimming bushes
 
  • Next Meeting Date
    Will schedule via email.